I have always loved cheese. Soft cheese, hard cheese, fresh ones and smelly ones, goat or cow, you name it.
There are recipes out there for cheese making at home, but a lot of them require long processes, coagulation, the use of rennet, cooking, etc.
Not only don´t I have the time for those, but in our household, we like things simple and as natural and fresh as possible.
So I totally love this simple recipe and more importantly, Jachym and I both love this cheese.
And the fact that it is cheaper than the store bought, chemically preserved cheeses, is the icing on the cake :)
You will need:
1/2 liter (or 2 cups) plain white yogurt (I use 3% fat)
1/4 liter (or 1 cup) Creme Fraiche (sour cream)
freshly ground mix of peppers (black, green, white and red)
three long strings of chives
You can also use other spices: fresh basil, coarsely ground red pepper, chilli pepper, garlic - are a few of my favorites. Use your imagination! :)
- mix yogurt with sour creme thoroughly together
- add salt and pepper to your liking (I use a pepper mill and give four to five proper twists to it as we love the pepper taste and spicy touch it gives the cheese)
- chop the chives and add to the mixture as the last ingredient
- put the mixture in a canvas cloth, make a knot and hang it on a wooden cooking spoon in a deep pot or bowl, so that the cheese mixture is not touching the ground, allowing space for the whey water to drip out
- place in a fridge and allow 24 hours to drip
I prefer to close the pot with a lid, so it doesn´t pull in the smells of the fridge.
When it´s ready, flip your nice soft, fresh creamy cheese in a jar with a lid and store in a fridge.
The whey can be used for making soup or other meals.
It is wonderful, with all the spices blending in over the night!